Anti-aging • Natural home treatments
Anti-aging refers to the habits and treatments we adopt that are designed to delay the aging process or at the least, intended to keep us looking younger longer
It seems that we are younger longer than was true a couple generations ago. Part of it is that we think younger, dress younger, and act younger than ever before. Life may be more stressful in many ways, but it is also easier and more varied than it was for our ancestors. Women don’t have 12 children and wash clothes by hand today. Not so many men have to plow fields with oxen. More of us than ever before can travel, get massages, and send our little ones to day care.
Science has provided us with advice on diet, sleep, hydration and exercise that benefits us and keeps our bodies fit longer. We know that inflammation, inactivity and lack of sleep will age us faster. We know that dehydration is harmful and that too much sun will ruin our skin. We also believe that a diet rich in nutrients but low in calories will extend our lifespan.
The lists below are some of the foods, drinks and actions that will keep us looking our best as the years pass, and some that will undermine our healthy glow at any age.
Keep your consumption of inflammatory food and drink to a minimum. Inflammation is the enemy of a youthful and healthy body.
FOODS THAT MAY PROMOTE ANTI-AGING
- Bell peppers
- Fermented foods
- Fiber-rich foods
- Fruits with malic acid will naturally clean teeth (strawberries, for example)
- Leafy greens
- Lemons and limes
- Manuka honey
- Olive oil
- Pomegranate seeds
- Potassium-rich foods
- Sesame seeds
- Sweet Potatoes
- Tomatoes, cooked
FOODS AND OTHER SUBSTANCES TO AVOID
- Artificial sweeteners (or artificial anything)
- Cured meats
- Food additives
- Processed foods
- Processed sugar weakens the collagen in your skin
- Refined carbohydrates have essentially the same effect on the body as processed sugar.
- Trans fats
TEAS AND OTHER LIQUIDS
- Green tea
HERBS AND SPICES
Administer oils via a diffuser for inhalation, topically in a carrier oil like coconut, or in a hot bath.
- Clary Sage
- Carrot seed
- Pomegranate seed
- Rose otto
- Rose geranium
- Ylang Ylang
OTHER SUBSTANCES AND SUPPLEMENTS
Blood tests can tell you if you are deficient in certain nutrients. In the long run, it will cost less to have a test than to take a lot of supplements you don’t really need. That said, the following list is what some advise for anti-aging; though all may not be entirely natural so do your research.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate
- B complex
- Coenzyme Q-10
- Green tea extract
- GTF Chromium
- Lipoic Acid
- Pyrroloquinoline Quinone
- Ultra H-3 is said to repair cellular membranes (herbal combo)
- Whey Protein
Water is essential and a main nutrient for the human body. Without it, you cannot survive for many days. Staying hydrated is fundamental for a healthy body, and youthful skin, so how much is enough? There are so many differences in people (i.e., how much we sweat), as well as the diets we consume (a lot of water comes from healthy, whole foods), but a general rule is to consume enough water that your urine is clear, but not so much that you dilute your nutrients. If you are taking certain supplements that make your urine yellow, then you can start out with the formula of drinking ½ ounce to 1 ounce of water for each pound you weigh. If you weigh 130 pounds, drink 65 to 130 ounces of water a day. Definitely drink when you are thirsty.
That exercise is beneficial is undisputed. A healthy, normal person should be doing some exercise every day. If you want to keep your muscles toned (which avoids some sagging skin), your skin glowing, and a spring in your step, you will work out moderately a few times a week. Don’t do anything that causes pain but do what you can regularly.
Stress affects every aspect of our health, including our skin, so try to get good quality sleep every night. If necessary, practice meditation or listen to hypnotic recordings at night (available for your smart phone). Or try one of the methods below.
- Art therapy
- Biofeedback (for help with controlling muscle tension, heart rate, blood pressure)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Massage (which will increase blood flow and lower blood pressure)
- Music Therapy
- Qi Gong
- Tai Chi
Lack of deep quality sleep will age you prematurely. Our bodies perform their restoration duties at night as we sleep.
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO
- Avoid black tea and coffee, which will stain your teeth. Both are dehydrating.
- Avoid scowling so that the wrinkles you do form make you look pleasant instead of sour.
- Eat an abundance of antioxidant-rich foods, because antioxidants will destroy excess free radicals that contribute to premature aging.
- If you are overweight, lose the excess. Excess fat creates a lot of stress for your internal organs and your joints. Beware that if you are lacking elasticity in your skin, losing weight will make you look older, but you will likely be healthier.
- Practice deep breathing.
- Remove make-up every night and then moisturize. Do the same in the morning.
- Take diatomaceous earth internally every once in a while to clean out toxins.
- Use a gentle moisturizer around your eyes.
- Use a homemade sugar scrub in the shower to soften your skin.
- Use a natural sunscreen. What’s the point of saving your skin from sunspots while loading up your body with chemicals? Use on your hands and neck as well as your face.
- Use an illuminating primer on your face to make fine lines less noticeable.
- Vitamin C cream for your face
- Ayurveda – https://www.artofliving.org/in-en/ayurveda/ayurvedic-treatments/prevent-aging-natural-way
- Earthing – https://heartmdinstitute.com/alternative-medicine/earthing-alternative-anti-aging-face-therapy/
- Massage – https://brightside.me/inspiration-health/asian-anti-aging-massage-that-takes-only-2-weeks-to-tighten-your-facial-skin-615860/
- Skin needling – https://www.telegraph.co.uk/beauty/skin/micro-needling-key-looking-younger/