Autism • Natural home treatments
Autism is simply defined as a mental condition characterized by difficulty in communicating and forming relationships. Autism (autism spectrum disorder) is actually a range of conditions. There usually is difficulty using language and understanding abstract concepts from early childhood.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF AUTISM?
Some or all of these may be present:
- Anxiety when routines are disrupted
- Difficulty reading facial expressions and body language of others
- Difficulty with eye-to-eye contact
- Failure to establish close relationships with others
- Lack of empathy with others
- Lack of interest in sharing experiences with others
- Language learning delay
- Preoccupation with a certain topic or range of topics
- Repetive language (repeating the same thing over and over)
IS IT CONTAGIOUS?
It is possible that a viral infection in the mother might increase the risk of autism in the baby, but autism cannot be passed from one person to another. No one is certain what causes the condition, and perhaps it isn’t the same reason in every person, but genetics play a part. It is likely that environmental factors also have a role in the development of autism.
Autism experts recommend that each person with autism be given an individualized treatment plan, since each case is different. There may be behavioral treatments or medicines. The treatment of any accompanying medical disorders must be addressed, as well.
Others have made claims of efficacy for the following suggestions and treatments, but this information is provided as anecdotal information for your further research.
There is compelling evidence that special diets can have a positive effect on autism. Because this condition is a complicated one, and because every child is different, you may need the help of a trained nutritionist and a specialist in autism, but there is information online about successful diet interventions. Most will be gluten-free and casein-free. It is important to avoid food additives, processed foods and sugars, and of course to provide a wide variety of whole, living foods. You will want to balance blood sugar; the Zone Diet offers great lessons on how you can do that with food.
FOODS THAT MAY PROMOTE HEALING
- Bone broth
- Fermented foods
- Fish, like salmon
- Poultry for the tryptophan
FOODS AND OTHER SUBSTANCES TO AVOID
- Any foods to which a person is allergic or sensitive (testing available)
- Dairy because of the casein
- Environmental toxins
- Food additives
- Household chemicals (use natural products for cleaning)
- Processed foods
HERBS AND SPICES
- Black cohosh root
- Calamus root
- Lobelia leaf
- Peony root
Essential oils can be administered via a diffuser for inhalation, administered topically in a carrier oil, or undiluted drops can be added to a hot bath.
- Ylang Ylang
OTHER SUBSTANCES AND SUPPLEMENTS
The cost of having a blood test to determine if you have nutritional deficiencies is likely to be negligible compared to over-consuming expensive supplements that you do not need.
- Fish Oil/Omega3’s
- Multi vitamins
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D/D3 (high doses can be harmful)
Children with autism often have gastrointestinal issues which may be closely related to dehydration. There are some recommendations for water intake here -https://www.autism.com/h20–that may help. If no special supplements are being consumed that may turn urine yellow, urine should be clear for someone who is well hydrated.
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO
- Diatomaceous earth, to remove toxins
- Epsom salt baths
- Green smoothies
- GAPS diet
- Stop using chemicals in the home and yard.
- Acupressure (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cBAcfg8Nw4)
- Chinese Medicine
- Earthing may have a calming effect.
- Homeopathy (https://homeopathyplus.com/reversing-autism-part-1/)
- Massage/touch therapy
- Music therapy
- SCIO (see SCIO post for an anecdote concerning autism)
- Sensory integration therapy
What works for one person may worsen another’s symptoms. Tread lightly.
One theory about the cause is that exposure to bacteria and parasites leave a toxic residue in the gut. If that is so, protecting children from these agents is important.
- Dr. Chris Exley published a study that reports autistic children have up to ten times more aluminum in their brains that what is thought to be safe for adults.
- A study reviewed in 2012 about the relationship between ultrasound and autism can be found here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22837291
- In a more recent study, researchers found a statistical association between autism and deep ultrasound wave penetration during the first and and second trimesters. An association does not show cause and effect. Authors were Dr. N. Paul Rosman and Dr. Jodi Abbot, both of Boston Medical Center.