natural and alternative treatments and home remedies for coughs
A cough is your body’s way to keep your throat clear from irritants.
If you have sustained coughing, or chronic coughing, consult a doctor. The underlying cause could be from an allergy, infection, respiratory disease, or even GERD, which may respond to other treatments.
The suggestions below are self-treatments that others have found helpful for temporary relief from coughs.
A healthy immune system is always the first line of defense against disease and physical disorders. To promote a healthy immune system, it is important to eat a balanced diet, with as much variety as you can manage, with lots of whole, fresh vegetables and fruits, quality protein and healthy sources of monounsaturated fat. The Zone is an excellent nutrition plan.
FOODS THAT MAY PROMOTE HEALING
- Anti-inflammatory foods
- Antioxidant-rich foods
- Bone Broth
- Fresh, whole living foods to provide a wide variety of nutrients
- Omega-3 rich foods
FOODS AND OTHER SUBSTANCES TO AVOID
- Processed sugars
TEAS AND OTHER LIQUIDS
HERBS AND SPICES
- Lemon balm
- Licorice root
Essential oils can be administered via a diffuser for inhalation, administered topically in a carrier oil like coconut, or undiluted drops can be added to a hot bath.
- Peppermint oil in hot water for steam inhalation
- Tea tree
OTHER SUBSTANCES AND SUPPLEMENTS
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO
- Homemade cough syrups with natural ingredients
- Saltwater gargle
- Acupressure (http://pointfinder.org/cough/)
- Chinese Medicine
- Homeopathy (https://homeopathyworks.com/blog/coughing-yup-homeopathy-can-help/)
Rule out serious causes for a chronic cough that might require more than palliative care.
- A healthy immune system
- A wholesome diet
- Keep your environment clean to minimize germs
- Regular exercise
- Stay away from others who are coughing.
- Stay hydrated.
- Use natural household products rather than chemicals.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water.