Natural Home Remedies for Epstein-Barr Virus
The Epstein-Barr virus can be responsible for several diseases but is best known for infectious mononucleosis, often called the kissing disease. EBV may play a role in autoimmune diseases. It is in the herpes family.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
- Fatigue (which may last for several weeks)
- Muscle weakness
- Night sweats
- Sore throat
- Swollen liver
- Swollen lymph glands in neck and armpits
- Swollen spleen
- Swollen tonsils
- Age (more likely between 15 and 30
- Direct contact with an infected person’s as from a cough or sneeze or sharing a drinking glass
- Direct contact with an infected person’s blood
- Immune-suppressing medications
- Occupation (more likely in hospital workers or caregivers)
- Sexual contact with an infected person
It is common and may exist in up to 90% of the population, either active or inactive.
- Symptom treatment only, like anti-inflammatories or pain relievers
A healthy immune system is always the first line of defense against disease and inflammation. To promote a healthy immune system, it is important to eat a balanced diet, with as much variety as you can manage, with lots of whole, fresh vegetables and fruits, quality protein and healthy sources of monounsaturated fat. The Zone is an excellent nutrition plan.
Research demonstrates the link between a poor diet and the likelihood that someone will contract the virus.
FOODS THAT MAY PROMOTE HEALING
- Bone broth (esp. with chicken bones)
- Iodine-rich foods
- Lycopene-rich foods like tomatoes, watermelons, asparagus and pink grapefruit
- Sufficient protein (see Zone Diet)
- Vitamin B12-rich foods like fish, eggs, chicken
- Vitamin D-rich foods like salmon and oranges
- Vitamin-rich foods like carrots and sweet potatoes
- Wild foods
FOODS AND OTHER SUBSTANCES TO REDUCE OR ELIMINATE
- Alcohol (because the virus is also hard on the liver)
- Excessive red meats
- Fats like canola and soybean
- Refined carbs including grains
- Table salt (use sea salt instead)
TEAS AND OTHER LIQUIDS
Drink lots of fluids
- Chamomile tea
- Fennel tea
- Herbal teas
- Juice (but go easy because of the sugar; don’t drink it every day)
- Lemon balm tea
- Red Clover tea
- Rose Hips tea
- Soups and broths
- Vegetable juices
HERBS AND SPICES
- Aloe Vera
- Burdock root
- Cat’s claw
- Holy Basil
- Licorice Root
Essential oils can be administered via a diffuser for inhalation, administered topically in a carrier oil (coconut, almond, olive, etc.), or undiluted drops can be added to a hot bath or compress. Find recipes for blends on the web or create your own.
- Eucalyptus oil
- Oregano oil
- Tea tree
- Thyme oil
OTHER SUBSTANCES AND SUPPLEMENTS
The cost of having a blood test to determine if you have nutritional deficiencies is likely to be negligible compared to over-consuming expensive supplements that you do not need.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Bentonite clay
- Colloidal silver
- Larrea tridentate
- Licorice Root extract
- John’s Wort
- Olive leaf extract
- Transfer factor plas-myc
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K2
- Zinc Citrate
Staying hydrated may help relieve symptoms. Staying hydrated will also keep electrolytes and blood volume balanced. Water is essential and a main nutrient for the human body. Without it, you cannot survive for many days. Staying hydrated is fundamental for a healthy body, so how much is enough? There are so many differences in people (i.e., how much we sweat), as well as the diets we consume (a lot of water comes from healthy, whole foods), but a general rule is to consume enough water that your urine is clear, but not so much that you dilute your nutrients. If you are taking certain supplements that make your urine yellow, then you can start out with the formula of drinking ½ to one ounce of water for each pound you weigh. If you weigh 130 pounds, drink 65 to 130 ounces of water a day. Definitely drink when you are thirsty.
If you are vomiting or sweating, you may need more but it’s dangerous to overdo. Moderation!
That exercise is beneficial for overall health is undisputed. If you are ill, you will want to take it easy, of course, but there is always something you can do to support your body. Do what you can without making yourself feel worse. Exercise in fresh air whenever possible. Take it slow and exercise just a little several times a day. Try doing your exercises in a pool, if possible; it’s a little more gentle.
Studies show that lack of quality sleep affects the production of disease-fighting antibodies. If you wake in the morning after 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep feeling unrested, you aren’t getting enough sleep. You will need good-quality sleep more than ever with EBV.
Psychological stress can activate the latent virus. Stay calm. Anxiety undermines all aspects of health. Practice relaxation exercises, talk to a friend, meditate. Do what works for you to stay mellow. Some of the following relaxation methods may be helpful for you:
- Art therapy
- Bach flower remedies
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Music Therapy
- Qi Gong
- Tai Chi
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO
- Avoid the fallout from others’ sneezing and coughing (wear a surgical mask on a plane).
- Don’t use others’ drinking glasses, etc.
- Get lots of rest
- Get rid of parasites with Bentonite Clay
- Regular infrared sauna sessions for detox
- Stay hydrated
- Wash hands often
- Acupressure (https://www.herbalshop.com/natural-healing/acupressure-massage-for-the-epstein-barr-virus/)
- Acupuncture (http://acupuncture.com/newsletters/m_jan15/autoimmune.htm)
- Ayurveda (http://www.alwaysayurveda.net/2017/01/epstein-barr-virus-ayurvedic-treatment.html)
- Chinese Herbal Medicine (https://agelessherbs.org/tag/epstein-barr/)
- Homeopathy (http://www.homeopathyforwomen.org/mononucleosis.htm)
- Watercure (https://www.watercures.org/) for boosting immunity
It is almost impossible to prevent because the virus, once in someone’s body, may remain there for life. It may activate and deactivate, making someone contagious without symptoms at various times. The suggestions below are primarily for maintaining a healthy immune system.
- A wholesome, balanced diet
- Adequate hydration
- Regular exercise
- Low stress levels
- Quality sleep
There is strong evidence to suggest that EBV may play a role in other conditions, autoimmune diseases, and certain cancers.
Mainstream thought is that once you have it, the virus is always in your body. I have a cousin treated by energy medicine who had it and after treatment, mainstream tests could no longer detect the virus.