Natural Remedies for Frozen Shoulder
This condition is also known as adhesive capsulitis. Immobilization increases the likelihood of developing a frozen shoulder joint. If you develop scar tissue in the shoulder, the joint capsule may thicken and tighten making movement difficult and painful. It isn’t an easy condition to diagnose. It can be self-corr
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
- Restricted movement
It is estimated to affect about 3% of people. If you have it once, you are more likely to have it again. Other conditions that increase risk are diabetes or thyroid problems (or any inflammatory condition).
- Physical therapy is recommended.
- There are several exercises used regularly, such as a crossover arm stretch, pendulum “swing,” or stretching with a towel.
- Sometimes a doctor will manipulate the shoulder under anesthetic in order to break up the adhesions and scar tissue.
A healthy immune system is always the first line of defense against disease and inflammation. To promote a healthy immune system, it is important to eat a balanced diet, with as much variety as you can manage, with lots of whole, fresh vegetables and fruits, quality protein and healthy sources of monounsaturated fat. The Zone is an excellent nutrition plan.
FOODS THAT MAY PROMOTE HEALING
- Bone broth
- High quality protein to keep muscles strong
- A variety of vegetables
- Nuts and seeds
- Fermented foods
- Coconut oil
FOODS AND OTHER SUBSTANCES TO REDUCE OR ELIMINATE
- Inflammatory foods such as processed foods, sugar, trans fats, gluten, any kind of junk food.
TEAS TO FIGHT INFLAMMATION
- Holy Basil
- Masala Chai
- Rose Hip
HERBS AND SPICES
- Black Pepper
Essential oils can be administered via a diffuser for inhalation, administered topically in a carrier oil (coconut, almond, olive, etc.), or undiluted drops can be added to a hot bath or compress. Find recipes for blends on the web or create your own. There are a number of essential oils with anti-inflammatory properties and/or pain relieving properties. There are many more than those listed below that you can try.
- Black pepper
- Peppermint Wintergreen
- Sweet marjoram
- Wintergreen combined with peppermint
OTHER SUBSTANCES AND SUPPLEMENTS
The cost of having a blood test to determine if you have nutritional deficiencies is likely to be negligible compared to over-consuming expensive supplements that you do not need.
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid
Water is essential and a main nutrient for the human body. Without it, you cannot survive for many days. Staying hydrated is fundamental for a healthy body, so how much is enough? There are so many differences in people (i.e., how much we sweat), as well as the diets we consume (a lot of water comes from healthy, whole foods), but a general rule is to consume enough water that your urine is clear, but not so much that you dilute your nutrients. If you are taking certain supplements that make your urine yellow, then you can start out with the formula of drinking ½ to one ounce of water for each pound you weigh. If you weigh 130 pounds, drink 65 to 130 ounces of water a day. Definitely drink when you are thirsty.
That exercise is beneficial for overall health is undisputed. If you are ill, you will want to take it easy, of course, but there is always something you can do to support your body, even when part of it isn’t functional. It will help to reduce inflammation if you continue to exercise the parts of your body that still work normally. Do what you can without making yourself feel worse. Exercise in fresh air whenever possible.
Studies show that lack of quality sleep affects the production of disease-fighting antibodies. If you wake in the morning after 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep feeling unrested, you aren’t getting enough sleep or you have an underlying health condition. It’s difficult to get good sleep with a frozen shoulder since the positions you can use are limited. Pain may interfere with sleep, especially if you tend to move around a lot at night.
Stay calm. Anxiety undermines health. Practice relaxation exercises, talk to a friend, meditate. Do what works for you to stay mellow. Some of the following relaxation methods may be helpful for you, even with only one arm:
- Art therapy
- Bach flower remedies
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Music Therapy
- Qi Gong
- Tai Chi
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO
- Apply heat, especially before exercise.
- Apply vinegar to a cloth and drape over your shoulder and then apply heat.
- Coconut oil rub
- Exercise to pain but not beyond. You want to stretch but do not want to make it worse.
- Garlic-flavored mustard oil as a topical rub
- Massage (highly recommended)
- Turmeric paste applied on the shoulder
- Acupressure https://backpainproducts.knoji.com/acupressure-therapy-for-frozen-shoulder/
- Acupuncture (highly recommended) http://www.itmonline.org/arts/frozenshoulder.htm, https://www.huffpost.com/entry/frozen-shoulder_b_1733786
- Ayurveda https://ayurvedicvillage.com/blog/2014/11/27/panchakarma-treatments-for-frozen-shoulder-apabahukam/
- Bowen Therapy (highly recommended for this condition) https://www.naturalmedicine.mb.ca/documents/frozen-shoulder-and-bowen-therapy.pdf
- Chiropractic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwwPaQMuhYk
- EFT – https://www.emofree.com/joints/shoulders/frozen-shoulder-article.html
- Homeopathy https://homoeopathicblog1.blogspot.com/2018/09/5-homoeopathic-medicines-for-frozen.html
- Trigenics Oat Procedure = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81XmhQxWVSo; https://frozenshoulderclinic.com/oat-procedure/
- Watercure (https://www.watercures.org/I) https://www.watercures.org/shoulder-joint-pain.html