Home Remedies for Ingrown Nails
Anyone can get an ingrown toenail–where the nail grows into the soft tissue of a toe.
It can happen from cutting your nails wrong or from distorted nails that grow in a convex fashion, sometimes naturally but often from fungal infections. Here are some things you can do at home:
- If the toenail is ingrown, soak it and then lift the nail enough to put a small, small bit of cotton or thick, plain floss beneath the offending edge so that the nail can grow past the tissue. Or you can buy a “toe brace” commercially. Change that daily and keep it clean.
- Use a toe protector if needed.
- Bread and milk poultice
- A piece of lemon on the toe will tackle infection.
- Potassium Permanganate as a foot soak for disinfecting
- Epsom salt as a foot soak
- Water and hydrogen peroxide for a foot soak
- Apple Cider Vinegar applied topically
Mix essential oils with a carrier oil and apply to the affected area.
- Make your own ointment with coconut oil and aloe vera gel.
- Oregano oil
- Tea tree oil
- White flower oil (a mixture of eucalyptus, lavender and peppermint oils), applied topically
HERBS AND SPICES
Make a poultice and apply to the affected area
- Aloe Vera
- Ginger paste
- Wear shoes that fit properly and don’t pinch your toes.
- Don’t cut nails too short. Soften them in warm water and then cut straight across with a sharp, straight-edged clipper. Leave them long enough to protect your toes; that’s what they are there for.
- Wear sandals when you can or go barefoot.
- Wear clean socks.
- Practice good foot hygiene.
If you have ingrown nails frequently, check with a doctor to determine the underlying cause, which could be one of many conditions, including diabetes or vascular problems.
If the toe is infected, red and swollen with pus, go to a doctor. You can reduce inflammation with some home remedies:
- Soak in an Epsom salts bath.
- Apply some hydrogen peroxide and cover with a bandaid.
- Apply Apple Cider Vinegar or add it to the foot bath.
- Tape a small piece of lemon to the toe and leave on overnight.