Motion Sickness Natural Treatment
Motion sickness is defined as nausea caused by motion, especially when traveling in a vehicle. When one part of your balance-sensing system senses that your body is moving, the other parts don’t; it is an inner ear disturbance.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
There are medicines available which are considered more effective if used before the occurrence rather than after.
A healthy immune system is always the first line of defense against physical disorder. To promote a healthy immune system, it is important to eat a balanced diet, with as much variety as you can manage, with lots of whole, fresh vegetables and fruits, quality protein and healthy sources of monounsaturated fat. The Zone is an excellent nutrition plan.
FOODS THAT MAY PROMOTE HEALING
- Bone broth
- Parlsey, raw
- Garlic, raw
- Eat small, frequent meals
- Dry crackers and ginger ale may help (though sodas are generally unhealthy)
- High protein snacks for your trip
FOODS AND OTHER SUBSTANCES TO AVOID OR REDUCE
- Heavy meals before and during travel should be avoided
- Strong food odors
- Spicy foods
TEAS AND OTHER LIQUIDS
- Black horehound tea
- Chamomile tea
- Raspberry tea
HERBS AND SPICES
- Black horehound tincture
- Cloves to chew
- Sweet orange
Essential oils can be administered via a diffuser for inhalation, administered topically on your skin in a carrier oil (coconut, almond, olive, etc.) or undiluted drops can be added to a hot bath or compress. Find recipes for blends on the web or create your own.
OTHER SUBSTANCES AND SUPPLEMENTS
The cost of having a blood test to determine if you have nutritional deficiencies is likely to be negligible compared to over-consuming expensive supplements that you do not need.
- Vitamin B6
Your body’s resistance to motion sickness is diminished with dehydration. Water is essential and a main nutrient for the human body. Without it, you cannot survive for many days. Staying hydrated is fundamental for a healthy body, so how much is enough? There are so many differences in people (i.e., how much we sweat), as well as the diets we consume (a lot of water comes from healthy, whole foods), but a general rule is to consume enough water that your urine is clear, but not so much that you dilute your nutrients. If you are taking certain supplements that make your urine yellow, then you can start out with the formula of drinking ½-1 ounce of water for each pound you weigh. If you weigh 130 pounds, drink 65 to 130 ounces of water a day. Definitely drink when you are thirsty.
Stay calm. Anxiety undermines health. Practice relaxation exercises, talk to a friend, meditate. Do what works for you to stay mellow. Some of the following relaxation methods may be helpful for you:
- Art therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Music Therapy
- Qi Gong
- Tai Chi
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO
- Deep breathing
- Do not sit facing backwards from the direction of travel and focus on a fixed point.
- Get fresh air while traveling.
- In a water vessel, you might be more comfortable near the waterline.
- In an airplane, sit over the wings.
- Listen to music while traveling.
- Motion sickness bracelet
- Sit as close to center of a boat as possible.
- Sit in the front seat of a car.
- Sleep during travel if you can.
- Sniff the smell of cut lemons whenever you start to feel nauseated (take some in a plastic container).
- Bach flower remedies
- Chinese Medicine
- Habituation exercises
- Nevasic Program