Natural Home Remedies for Raynaud's Syndrome
Raynaud’s Syndrome is defined as a disease characterized by disorder of the blood vessels in the extremities, typically brought on by cold or vibration.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
- Gangrene in severe cases
- Red skin
- Buerger’s syndrome
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Living in a cold climate
- Medications like amphetamines and beta-blockers
- Primary pulmonary hypertension
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sjogren’s Syndrome
- Systemic lupus
- Thyroid disorders
A physician may prescribe calcium channel blockers.
A healthy immune system is always the first line of defense against disease and inflammation. To promote a healthy immune system, it is important to eat a balanced diet, with as much variety as you can manage, with lots of whole, fresh vegetables and fruits, quality protein and healthy sources of monounsaturated fat. The Zone is an excellent nutrition plan.
FOODS THAT MAY PROMOTE HEALING
- Iron-rich foods
FOODS AND OTHER SUBSTANCES TO REDUCE OR ELIMINATE
- Medications (check with your doctor)
- Smoking, which constricts blood vessels
TEAS AND OTHER LIQUIDS
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Green tea
HERBS AND SPICES
- Black pepper
- Butcher’s broom
- Dong quai
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Horse chestnut
- Prickly ash
Essential oils can be administered via a diffuser for inhalation, administered topically in a carrier oil (coconut, almond, olive, etc.), or undiluted drops can be added to a hot bath or compress. Find recipes for blends on the web or create your own.
- Clary sage
- Rosemary – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30219447
OTHER SUBSTANCES AND SUPPLEMENTS
The cost of having a blood test to determine if you have nutritional deficiencies is likely to be negligible compared to over-consuming expensive supplements that you do not need.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid (anecdotal evidence only)
- Niacin (but may have unpleasant side effects)
- Omega 3’s
- Vitamin B3
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
Dehydration reduces blood volume. Water is essential and a main nutrient for the human body. Without it, you cannot survive for many days. Staying hydrated is fundamental for a healthy body, so how much is enough? There are so many differences in people (i.e., how much we sweat), as well as the diets we consume (a lot of water comes from healthy, whole foods), but a general rule is to consume enough water that your urine is clear, but not so much that you dilute your nutrients. If you are taking certain supplements that make your urine yellow, then you can start out with the formula of drinking ½ to one ounce of water for each pound you weigh. If you weigh 130 pounds, drink 65 to 130 ounces of water a day. Definitely drink when you are thirsty.
That exercise is beneficial for overall health is undisputed. It may help avoid flare-ups of Raynaud’s symptoms. If you are out in the cold, do some arm and hand exercises to promote circulation. If you are ill, you will want to take it easy, of course, but there is always something you can do to support your body. Do what you can without making yourself feel worse. Exercise in fresh air whenever possible.
Studies show that lack of quality sleep affects the production of disease-fighting antibodies. If you wake in the morning after 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep feeling unrested, you aren’t getting enough sleep or you have an underlying health condition.
Stay calm. Anxiety undermines health and can worsen symptoms. Practice relaxation exercises, talk to a friend, meditate. Do what works for you to stay mellow. Some of the following relaxation methods may be helpful for you:
- Art therapy
- Bach flower remedies
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Music Therapy
- Qi Gong
- Tai Chi
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO
- Wear warm socks and gloves when exposed to cold.
- Immerse affected areas in warm water.
- Acupuncture – https://www.healthcmi.com/Acupuncture-Continuing-Education-News/551-acupunctureceusraynaudspain
- Ayurveda – https://easyayurveda.com/2016/04/05/raynauds-disease-ayurvedic-treatment/
- Chinese Medicine – http://www.itmonline.org/arts/raynauds.htm
- Chiropractic – https://livingvitallife.com/can-chiropractic-care-offer-relief-raynauds-syndrome/
- Earthing – https://www.earthconnection.eu/Testimonials
- Homeopathy – https://www.drhomeo.com/homeopathic-treatment/homeopathic-medicines-for-raynauds-disease/
- Magnet therapy to improve circulation – https://www.biomag.us/white-fingers-raynauds-syndrome/
- Check with your doctor before using any natural remedies if you are on blood-thinning medications.
- A wholesome, balanced diet
- Adequate hydration
- Keep warm in cold weather
- Regular exercise
- Low stress levels
- Quality sleep