Yeast Infections: Natural Home Treatment
When the balance of bacteria and yeast in the vagina alters, and yeast cells multiply, you might experience some unpleasant irritation. If the type of yeast overpopulation is Candida albicans, then you have candidiasis. Any kind of yeast infection is known as vaginitis.
If you have a yeast infection in your mouth or throat, it is called Thrush. You also can get fungal infection in your ears, nose, toenails, fingernails, penis, or in the folds of skin (like under breasts).
The balance of yeast and bacteria in the vagina can be upset by certain infections, diseases, medications, or high estrogen levels (as in pregnancy), and even stress.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
- Bleeding gums
- Burning sensation when urinating
- Cracked tongue
- Discharge, white and odorless
If you have candida internally, you may suffer from:
- Chronic fatigue
- Chronic inflammation
- Cravings for sweets
- Digestive problems
- Joint or muscle pain
- Mood swings
- Sinus infections
- Weakened immune system
It is a common problem and often unreported. If you are having frequent infections, ask your doctor to rule out any possible underlying conditions.
If you are familiar with the symptoms, you may treat yourself at home with anti-fungal medications but if it’s appropriate, check to see if you are pregnant before opting for medications.
A healthy immune system is always the first line of defense against hormonal imbalance and infection. To promote a healthy immune system, it is important to eat a balanced diet, with as much variety as you can manage, with lots of whole, fresh vegetables and fruits, quality protein and healthy sources of monounsaturated fat. The Zone is an excellent nutrition plan.
FOODS THAT MAY PROMOTE HEALING
- Bone broth
- Chia seeds
- Coconut oil
- Fermented foods (miso, tempeh)
- Flax seeds
- Garlic is anti-fungal
- Green vegetables (avoid the sweeter vegetables like corn and carrots)
- In place of sugar, try stevia as a sweetener.
- Olive oil
- Yogurt (plain) with lactobacillus acidophilus (to help control the yeast)
FOODS AND OTHER SUBSTANCES TO REDUCE OR ELIMINATE
- Alcohol will negatively affect the proliferation of friendly bacteria and will contribute to the proliferation of yeast growth.
- Cut back on fruit because of the sugars.
- Eliminate all food additives.
- Moldy and yeasty foods (some cheeses, any vinegar except ACV, pickles, soy sauce, mustard, peanuts, mushrooms, processed meats, fruit juices)
- Reduce, or eliminate, all processed foods refined carbohydrates (which are primarily sugar) like grains, breads, crackers, pastries.
- Sugar feeds yeast; so eliminate it from your diet while you are treating your infection.
TEAS AND OTHER LIQUIDS
- Apple Cider Vinegar in water, daily
- Cranberry juice
- Fresh vegetable juices
- Nettle leaf
- Non-fruit herbal teas
- Pau d’Arco
- Teas made from the list of herbs below
HERBS AND SPICES
- Black walnut
- Olive leaf extract
- Oregano leaf
A study comparing the use of drugs to the use of essential oils for 30 different strains of C. albicans found the oils more efficient at inhibiting growth of the yeast than clotrimazole. Essential oils can be administered via a diffuser for inhalation, administered topically in a carrier oil (coconut, almond, olive, etc.), or undiluted drops can be added to a hot bath or compress. Find recipes for blends on the web or create your own.
- Tea tree
- Winter savory
OTHER SUBSTANCES AND SUPPLEMENTS
- Grapefruit seed extract
- Lactobacillus capsules
- Olive leaf extract
- Vitamin C
- There are a number of commercial supplements designed to treat fungal infections.
Drinking more water will help you to urinate more, which will be cleansing. Water is essential and a main nutrient for the human body. Without it, you cannot survive for many days. Staying hydrated is fundamental for a healthy body, so how much is enough? There are so many differences in people (i.e., how much we sweat), as well as the diets we consume (a lot of water comes from healthy, whole foods), but a general rule is to consume enough water that your urine is clear, but not so much that you dilute your nutrients. If you are taking certain supplements that make your urine yellow, then you can start out with the formula of drinking ½ to one ounce of water for each pound you weigh. If you weigh 130 pounds, drink 65 to 130 ounces of water a day. Definitely drink when you are thirsty.
Exercise is necessary for a strong immune system and overall wellness. If you are ill, you will want to take it easy, of course, but there is always something you can do to support your body. Do what you can without making yourself feel worse. Exercise in fresh air whenever possible.
Studies show that lack of quality sleep affects the production of disease-fighting antibodies. If you wake in the morning after 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep feeling unrested, you aren’t getting enough sleep or you have an underlying health condition.
Stress can contribute to any disease condition. Stay calm. Anxiety undermines health. Practice relaxation exercises, talk to a friend, meditate. Do what works for you to stay mellow. Some of the following relaxation methods may be helpful for you:
- Art therapy
- Bach flower remedies
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Music Therapy
- Qi Gong
- Tai Chi
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO
- Add Apple Cider Vinegar to your bath water.
- Apply Apple Cider Vinegar topically.
- Coconut oil—for use in place of an antifungal cream. Apply topically on affected areas frequently.
- Homemade essential oil suppositories (https://www.motherwiselife.org/most-effective-yeast-infection-treatment-ever/)
- Chinese Medicine
- Homeopathy – https://joettecalabrese.com/blog/vaginal-yeast-gone-with-homeopathy/
- Boric acid is left out of the treatments on purpose, because it can burn and can be toxic. If you want to read about it as a possible treatment, though, it is easy to find online.
- Some creams used to treat infections will weaken the latex in condom–oops.
- There are many other symptoms than the ones listed above that may be associated with candidiasis. Please see specialist for more information.
- There is a lack of information supporting the use of douching for yeast infections.
- A wholesome, balanced diet with minimum sugar
- Adequate hydration
- Regular exercise
- Low stress levels
- Quality sleep
[amazon_link asins=’B001G7QVG8,B01C8BR84O,B00YCPY87U’ template=’ProductCarouselTreatment’ store=’47075-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’54e3956c-2f45-11e8-a65c-4ff64819f70a’]